Tuesday, October 13, 2009

Cinnamon Scone

Who doesn't have a favorite coffee shop around the neighborhood that is there ultimately favorite? Well I do and this is the best time of the year to go and visit, because there is just something whimsical about the smell there. It must be the cinnamon with nutmeg and of course the great coffee smell.

My husband and I am addicted to scones, but not just any scone, the cinnamon scone we buy at Panera Bread here in Florida. I had to make them at home, after searching on every book and magazine I could get my hands on I came to the idea of searching online (which by the way I can't believe this wasn't my first choice, it would had cut my time in half). After reading a couple of recipes I came across one found in Group Recipes.


Cinnamon Chip Scones
Preheat oven to 350°F. Set aside a cookie sheet lined with parchment paper.
Ingredients:

2 cups flour
1/3 cup brown sugar
4 tbsp white sugar
1 tbsp baking powder
3/4 tsp salt
3/4 stick butter (cold)
1/3 cup cream (whipping cream)
2 eggs
1/3 cup oatmeal
1/2 cup cinnamon chips
sugar and cinnamon for topping
(large sugar crystals can also be used)

Directions:
1. Mix together the flour, sugars (brown and white), baking powder and salt.
2. Cut up butter into cubes.
3. Mix butter into flour mixture until blended. Should have pea size chunks of butter.
4. Beat the eggs and cream lightly together. Then add to the dry ingredients.
5. Add cinnamon chips and oatmeal to mixture.
6. Put dough into circle, roll out.
7. Cut into triangles, number depends on size of triangles (I made eight).
8. Sprinkle with cinnamon and sugar mixture.
9. Put on cookie sheet lined with parchment paper.
10. Finally, cook for 15-20 minutes or until slightly brown.

Note: I couldn't find cinnamon chips anywhere (I didn't even know such thing existed) so I had to improvise, but I am waiting for some that I ordered online at King Arthur Flour. Can't wait to get the to try the recipe the way it is meant to be made.

I also personalized it a bit by adding a glaze. I saw some recipes with this idea and thought it couldn't damage it if I added some to my scones. By the way they are delicious with or without the glaze.

Follow me on Twitter and be the first to see my new scones made with the cinnamon chips.


Now for the picture you have been waiting for:









No comments:

Post a Comment