Thursday, February 11, 2010

Maple Scones

It is actually Maple-Oatmeal Scones made from a recipe gotten from Food Network Magazine. The recipe is from Ina Garten, I absolutely love her dishes. Both sweet and savory.

For this particular recipe I did make some changes that worked for my pallet, with what I like and what my family loves as well. The reason being is that I make all of this for my family, hey, I need to take care of my loved ones. Plus someone has to take care of all the tastings that goes around here! Don't judge, I know you have done it too... or maybe still do.
You can enjoy some of the pictures I took and taking advantage of the holiday (Valentine's Day) I gave a special shape to my scones. Hearts and XOX's. Hope you like and enjoy some scones!

Here goes the recipe:
Maple Scones (Maple-Oatmeal Scones)
Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
Ingredients:
  • 3 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
  • 1 cup whole-wheat flour
  • 1 cup quick-cooking oats, plus additional for sprinkling
  • 2 tablespoons baking powder
  • 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
  • 2 teaspoons salt
  • 1 pound cold unsalted butter, diced
  • 1/2 cup cold buttermilk
  • 1/2 cup pure maple syrup
  • 4 extra-large eggs, lightly beaten
  • 1 egg beaten with 1 tablespoon milk or water, for egg wash

For the glaze:

  • 1 1/4 cups confectioners' sugar
  • 1/2 cup pure maple syrup
  • 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract

Directions:

In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with a paddle attachment, combine the flours, oats, baking powder, sugar, and salt. Blend the cold butter in at the lowest speed and mix until the butter is in pea-sized pieces. Combine the buttermilk, maple syrup, and eggs and add quickly to the flour-and-butter mixture. Mix until just blended. The dough may be sticky.

Dump the dough out onto a well-floured surface and be sure it is combined. Flour your rolling pin and roll the dough 3/4 to 1-inch thick. You should see lumps of butter in the dough. Cut into rounds or triangles (or any other shape you like) then place on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper.

Brush the tops with egg wash. Bake for 20 to 25 minutes, until the tops are crisp and the insides are done.

To make the glaze, combine the confectioners' sugar, maple syrup, and vanilla. When the scones are done, cool for 5 minutes, and drizzle each scone with 1 tablespoon of glaze. Ina recommends to sprinkle some uncooked oats on the top, for garnish.

Note: When putting on the glaze make sure the scone is not too warm or the glaze will melt.
Another good recommendation I can give you is that whenever you are making a recipe read the reviews (if they are available). It always help to know what others found that works better for you in the chosen recipe. It always helps me!




















No comments:

Post a Comment